Most electrical work should be done by a professional, with experience and expertise in the field. However, sometimes a project is within your reach and there’s nothing more gratifying than fixing a problem yourself.
When you suddenly need to fix something in your home, it always helps to have an Electrical DIY book with you. It’s a handy thing to have, especially when you want to fix something in a jiffy. Thankfully, purchasing an Electrical DIY book today is easy, and can be done online. You just need to know the right book to buy.
When shopping for an Electrical DIY book, you’ll want to be sure to keep an eye out for these essential features.
- The Simplicity of Language: The book must be understandable, not only by professionals but also common folk who read it. The key to a good DIY book is the DIY aspect: if someone reads it, will he or she be able to do the electricals themselves? If the books address this, then it’s a good purchase.
- Accuracy: Another important consideration is the correctness of the information in the book. While it’s good that the book is simple to understand, it’s also necessary that it teaches the uninitiated how to manipulate electricals correctly. It must either be written by professionals and experts or at least approved by them. Otherwise, any mistake could lead to irreversible consequences.
- Scope of Topic: A good DIY book is something that covers a wide range of electrical-related topics. The more information you can glean out of it, the handier the book becomes. It’s cumbersome for someone to keep a lot of books with them, and looking for information across multiple books is a hassle.
We’ve done the research and read hundreds of customer reviews to bring you our curated list of the top 10 Electrical DIY Books.
Our Top 10 Electrical DIY Books: a Deep Dive
#1: How to Fix Everything For Dummies (Editor’s Choice!)
The book itself is entitled How to Fix Everything For Dummies, so that alone should give you an idea as to how simple it is to understand. In terms of Electrical DIY Books, this is by far the best one to purchase for everyone who wants to do repairs on their home. It teaches you easy ways to fix everything in your home, including electronics.
- It’s a troubleshooting guide for your home appliances and electronics.
- It includes illustrations to help those who learn visually.
- The language is simple enough for everyone to understand.
- Aside from being helpful, it’s also an entertaining read, packed with humorous content.
- Besides electronics, it also provides help on fixing other household components, such as plumbing and furniture.
Customers Say…How to Fix Everything For Dummies books are almost all positive. They were able to fix all the electrical appliances in their homes by following what the text says. They also love how entertaining it is to read. Check Price on Amazon.com
#2: Ultimate Guide: Wiring, 8th Edition
Ultimate Guide: Wiring, 8th Updated Edition. is a book that teaches you the ins and outs of your home’s wiring system. It shows you how your lights, appliances, and electronics are powered by the wires around your house, allowing you to diagnose if something goes wrong quickly. It’s an easy read for both professionals and ordinary homeowners.
- It’s written in simple English for easier comprehension.
- It has illustrations and visual aids to help readers follow along.
- It has step-by-step guides, as well as lists of tools needed for any job.
- It complies fully with the National Electrical Code
- Handy charts and tables are also available for readers.
Those who bought the Ultimate Guide: Wiring, 8th Updated Edition book were mostly happy about it. They were able to wire their houses well enough to pass inspections. However, some customers say that the pictures in the book are outdated and need to be replaced.Check Price on Amazon.com
#3: Install Your Own Solar Panels: Designing and Installing a Photovoltaic System to Power Your Home
If you’ve ever wanted to have solar panels in your home, then the Install Your Own Solar Panels book is for you. It’s an easy to follow guide for those who want to have total solar power in their houses. Those who read the books but are not considering installing solar panels may begin to think otherwise.
- Each of the instructions is detailed and easy to comprehend.
- There are handy step-by-step illustrations for better understanding.
- The book is written by two experts on the topic, ensuring accuracy.
- Any homeowner will be able to install a solar power system in their house using this book.
- Available for Kindle users.
Reviews for the Install Your Own Solar Panels book praise its easy to understand the content. Customers were able to install their solar panel system. There were just some people who wanted more detail out of it.Check Price on Amazon.com
#4: Black & Decker’s The Complete Guide To WiringBlack is one of the best-selling wiring books in the market today. It boasts of having more than two million copies in print. It was also updated to conform to the current Electrical Codes.
- This book has been the book of choice by DIYers for years.
- It has more than eight hundred photos to help readers understand better.
- It contains around forty helpful diagrams for readers.
- Actual professionals reviewed it for accuracy.
- Information includes the most common circuits, as well as tools to be used.
Customers who bought Black have been calling it a must-have book for those who want to learn about wiring. They were able to easily follow-along the instructions and set-up their wiring systems. Some customers want a more extensive range of projects to make it perfect.Check Price on Amazon.com
#5: How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, 2nd Edition
From the title itself, How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, 2nd Edition is a complete guide to troubleshooting problems with electrical devices. It was written by an electronics guru and is easy enough to follow, even for those new to the topic. It teaches readers about the tools needed and specific steps required for each kind of gadget.
- It contains topics on setting up your workbench and proper protective equipment.
- You’ll be able to understand how some components work and what to do when they fail.
- It teaches readers how to use measuring equipment, such as multimeters and frequency counters.
- You’ll learn how to take electronics apart and label each of their sections accordingly.
- It’s a complete troubleshooting guide for any electronic.
Customers Say…How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, 2nd Edition has been well reviewed by customers. They liked how it quickly taught them about fixing their electronics. However, some are saying that this was still too technical for them. Check Price on Amazon.com
#6: Wiring a House: 5th Edition
The Wiring a House: 5th Edition book is something that homeowners will find useful to have. It was written by Rex Cauldwell, an expert in the field of electricals. Both homeowners and electricians alike will appreciate the content of the book.
- Despite being written by an expert, it presents information using simple language.
- It contains more than three hundred colored photos
- It also has 120 illustrated diagrams to make instructions easier
- It was updated to conform to the latest National Electrical Codes
- It has content curated for both professionals and non-electricians.
Those who read Wiring a House: 5th Edition liked the numerous tips present in the book. Some even called it their favorite wiring book among others. However, some customers say that there were some topics in the book that need more information.Check Price on Amazon.com
#7: Mobile Solar Power Made Easy!
The topic of the book Mobile Solar Power Made Easy! is self-explanatory, from the title itself. It presents guides for people to have solar-powered vehicles at their disposal. Anyone without prior experience with solar panel installations will find this book easy to understand.
- You’ll be able to install solar power systems to your vehicles.
- It has easy to follow step-by-step instructions
- You can choose if you want to follow beginner, intermediate, or advanced computations.
- It gives out handy tips that can save you money
- It has pictures big enough to understand easily.
People who use the Mobile Solar Power Made Easy! book say that they were able to install solar power systems to their vehicles successfully. The instructions and images were straightforward to follow. However, some customers want more professional input on the topic, since they found it too basic.Check Price on Amazon.com
#8: Wiring Simplified: Based on the 2017 National Electrical Code
Another useful book for those who want to learn about electricals is Wiring Simplified: Based on the 2017 National Electrical Code It uses the 2017 NEC as its reference, so readers can be sure that the information stated within is up to date and regulated. It was written by Hartwell, Richter, and Schwan, who are experts on the field.
- It’s a simplified version of wiring guides that any reader can easily follow
- It complies with the 2017 NEC
- It teaches readers to wire projects of any size, including an entire house.
- The book series has been published for more than 80 years already, which shows its reliability.
- Well-reviewed, having gained more than four stars on Amazon.
Customers who decided to buy Wiring Simplified: Based on the 2017 National Electrical Code say that the book is a useful reference for those who want to DIY their house’s wirings. They found the information valuable and understandable. However, some customers say that the book had outdated illustrations and sentences that are too lengthy.Check Price on Amazon.com
#9: Troubleshooting and Repairing Major Appliances
For families who own a lot of appliances, the Troubleshooting and Repairing Major Appliances book is a must-have. Its author has four decades’ worth of experience, ensuring accurate information and useful tips. After reading this book, you won’t ever have to fear the breakage of your appliances.
- The book was updated to cover more modern appliances.
- It teaches readers the proper way to install, maintain, and repair appliances.
- The book has pictures for visual learners.
- Contains information on a wide range of appliances, from dishwashers, air conditioners, and even dehumidifiers.
- It has a chapter on how someone can become a technician in the future.
Customers who bought Troubleshooting and Repairing Major Appliances say that it lives up to its name well. They found the information useful, and they were able to repair their appliances. However, some still say that there was outdated information on the book.Check Price on Amazon.com
#10: Wiring Complete 3rd Edition
Wiring Complete 3rd Edition is a book that contains information on wiring modern-day electrical devices. It’s everything that families need to understand the inner workings of their wired home devices. From the title itself, it promises to provide information on any wiring scenario possible.
- Two experts on electrical devices wrote it.
- It has been updated to the latest NEC to ensure regulated wiring projects.
- The approach of the book is very DIY and easy to follow for non-experts.
- Contains pictures and diagrams for readers to follow instructions easily.
- Covers a wide range of electrical devices, including switches, kitchen appliances, and wi-fi devices.
Those who purchased Wiring Complete 3rd Edition were able to perform the projects successfully. They became less afraid of installing and repairing their devices at home. So far, no one has reviewed this book negatively.Check Price on Amazon.com
Knowing how to wire up your home and repair electrical devices is a vital skill, given that almost everything in our homes is powered by electricity nowadays. It’s handy for you to have at least one or two of the books in the list for your reference, in case something goes wrong. It will save you time and money, instead of having to hire a professional to do the work for you.
We highly recommend that you read up on How to Fix Everything For Dummies, our top recommended book. By far, the Dummies series of books is the most reliable source of information for those who are new to a particular topic. As long as you have it in your collection, you’ll be able to do repairs on anything in your home. You can rest easy even if something goes wrong in an appliance you are using.