Electrical Engineering is a vast field with diverse categories that listing only ten books would seem like an arduous task. The least we can do is to help you stop bingeing and piling up on books that you don’t really need. So, impossible as it may seem, we want to put an end to your dilemma finally.
Ernest Hemingway has once said, “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” You can certainly develop an emotional attachment to these Top 10 Electrical Engineering Books and thank us later!
When shopping for books in general, you want to make sure that you are getting value for your money. You follow a simple and definitive guideline in choosing which one is the best. You’ll want to be sure to keep an eye out for these generic features.
• Content – how the subject is presented including the language that is used
• Structure – how the content of the book is arranged and organized
• Layout – how the text and graphics are displayed in the book
We’ve done the research and read hundreds of customer reviews to bring you our curated list of the Top 10 Electrical Engineering Books.
Our Top 10 Electrical Engineering Books: A Deep Dive
#1: Delmar’s Standard Textbook of Electricity, 6th Edition
The newest 6th edition of Delmar’s Standard Textbook of Electricity is updated, comprehensive and organized making it remarkably easy to understand. The text is loaded with electrical theory and practical applications that will help readers prepare for real-world practice plus high-quality color illustrations that add flair to learning. It is a Mindtap Course List which helps accelerate learning and success.
- Mathematical concepts are concentrated on Algebra and Trigonometry so that the students master the basics first before progressing to more advanced topics.
- Mindtap Course List or digital learning tool which includes the text, quizzes, flashcards, multi-media assets, social media options, and progress reports help accelerate the students’ learning and success.
- “Why You Need to Know” articles are explicitly shown in boxes to stress the importance of critical topics that are presented.
- Safety precautions are highlighted to emphasize safe practices at work.
- Practical “Green Tips” are incorporated throughout the entire text to demonstrate the application of environmental concepts in the electrical field.
The book uses in a way that is easy to understand, with a detailed explanation of everything. There may be a lot of Math involved, but Delmar managed to break it down, showing the formulas and answers to countercheck your work and progress. Although there are a few typographical errors, Delmar’s Standard Textbook of Electricity, 6th Edition is still worth every penny especially if you’re in the electrical field.Check Price on Amazon.com
#2: The Lineman’s and Cableman’s Handbook, 13th Edition
James E. Mack’s thirteenth edition of The Lineman’s and Cableman’s Handbook, 13th Edition is an upgrade of the previous versions to keep up with the latest technology and comply with the 2017 National Electrical Safety Code. The book touches on standard principles and best practices in electric transmission, operation, maintenance, and distribution line construction. It boasts high-quality illustrations, self-test questionnaires, and exercises for better and easier understanding of key concepts.
- Intensified information about overhead /underground distribution lines and overhead transmission lines.
- New topics offer detailed information regarding smart grid technology, cutting-edge personal protective equipment, and microprocessor-based circuit protection.
- The self-help examinations and exercises allow reinforcement of key concepts
- With over 200 new graphic images and tables
- Encompasses the latest standards – NEC, ANSI, ASTM, and OSHA
Customers Say…The Lineman’s and Cableman’s Handbook, 13th Edition is detailed and very informative, the perfect reference for jobs in the utility industry. It’s a bit expensive but worth biting the bullet especially if you’re in the trade or prospecting to be in the lineman industry. Check Price on Amazon.com
#3: Electric Motor Control, 10th Edition
The 10th Edition of Stephen L. Herman’s Electric Motor Control, 10th Edition is up-to-date and provides a full scale and practical understanding of machines and controls. The illustrative material also appeals to visual learners making each lesson more engaging. It is remarkably user-friendly, the units offer concise information from the simplest of equipment to motor control components and control circuits.
- Updated content, with compact and self-sufficient units (4-10 pages for each unit) to match teacher and learner needs.
- The text focuses on electromechanical controls and an inclination to the heavy industries.
- Packed with up-to-date photographs, artworks, line illustrations, and schematic diagrams dramatically show chapter concepts.
- Extremely reader friendly, the text will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to use the ammeter, ohmmeter, and voltmeter when troubleshooting a control circuit.
- Unit 60: Troubleshooting Techniques provides readers with problem-solving strategies using real-life tools in real-world practice.
Electric Motor Control, 10th Edition is an excellent book that provides comprehensive information in the electrical program. It is easy to read and understand – you will find it useful if you’re working with motor wiring. There are a few typos, and some study questions are either ridiculous or very easy.Check Price on Amazon.com
#4: Electrical Wiring Commercial, 14th EditionElectrical Wiring Commercial, 14th Edition has undergone extensive revision following the 2011 National Electrical Code. Product pictures and drawings in vivid colors graphically illustrate difficult Code concepts to engage students and increase their understanding of the application in wiring processes. “Going green” concept is also a priority in electrical design elements and installation. The enhanced coverage on safety throughout the book is approved by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
- A broad coverage regarding safety in the workplace from Occupational Safety and Health.
- Practical examples to reinforce essential calculations and concepts.
- Standard Metric and English System measurements are used for readers from different learning backgrounds.
- Crisscross Code Index allows easy reference of specific content and Code requirements.
- Displays useful Electrical tables, pictures, and illustrations.
Electrical Wiring Commercial, 14th Edition touch base on electrical construction will benefit Electrical Engineers, Contractors, and Designers – with tables on electrical loads of electrical devices and load calculation method. It can serve as a refresher or advance course in Electrical Construction Methods and Designs. It is relatively easy to read, with minimal technobabble and only enough NEC references required to do the job. Unfortunately, some readers find the text confusing and irrelevant, particularly the chapter review questions.
#5: Technician’s Guide to Programmable Controllers, 6th Edition
Terry Borden and Richard Cox’ Technician’s Guide to Programmable Controllers, 6th Edition in its 6th edition is completely updated with highly comprehensible coverage on theory, instructions, hardware, programming, installation, start-up, troubleshooting and much more. New topics include alarm and event programming, sequential function chart programming, structured text programming, function block programming, programming information, and examples of the Allen-Bradley ControlLogix family of PLCs. Additional topics cover essential control signals, communication networks, linear scaling of analog process signals, and PID or Proportional Integral Derivative instructions used by many PLC applications.
- The text aims to help readers get an in-depth understanding of the various communication schemes used to pass information between the PLC, control components and control systems.
- Promotes the application of concepts by granting readers with specific examples of PLC programming code and logic.
- Troubleshooting techniques complete the comprehensive introduction to PLC installation, PLC programming, and PLC maintenance.
The Technician’s Guide to Programmable Controllers, 6th Edition is very informative. It provides a brief overview of general PLC knowledge and delves deep into AB PLC 5 and AB Controllogix. The book may be a requirement in class and was only used occasionally as a reference, but still, it is recommended for electrical technician’s use.Check Price on Amazon.com
#6: Interpreting the National Electrical Code, 9th Edition
An accurate interpretation of the National Electrical code is exhibited in this book by Surbrook and Althouse, the Interpreting the National Electrical Code, 9th Edition. The extensive showcase of significant illustrations and examples allow easy understanding. Special sections underlining the latest and most substantial changes in the Code help readers navigate through new 2011 NEC requirements.
- This edition continues to engage with a wealth of practical and useful Instructor Resources, which includes an Instructor’s Manual and detailed lesson plan, Code® references, PowerPoint® slides, Image Gallery, and a Computerized Test Bank to assess understanding.
- The book’s proven methods lead students to a better understanding of the Code® requirements in the performance of electrical calculations, with emphasis on the typical calculations that a professional encounters in everyday wiring.
- Vivid illustrations in the 9th edition present various references to Code® sections that will guide students to find information and gain an understanding of the Code®.
- Features Beginning Worksheets for journey electrician level and journey electrician exam students, and
- Advanced Worksheets for master electrician level and students preparing for that exam.
Interpreting the National Electrical Code, 9th Edition is perfect if you want to improve your knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC). The text uses clear and comprehensible language with easy to follow diagrams. This book is brimming with solutions intended to provide greater usability, better safeguards, and bring provisions following the latest in technology trends.Check Price on Amazon.com
#7: Electrical Engineering 101, 2nd edition
The second edition of Electrical Engineering 101, 2nd edition by Darren Ashby covers every subject essential to Electrical Engineering – intuitive circuit, signal analysis, electrical components, troubleshooting, and so much more! Professional and aspiring Engineers will benefit from the vast array of practical information that is integrated throughout the book.
- Uses easily understood language with a sprinkling of wit and humor
- Offers explanation of electrical industry jargons and technical terms.
- Updated text with new topics on the latest technological innovations
- Includes CD-ROM and website referencing to a library of electrical information
- A dedicated section for Tools and Troubleshooting
If you think that Science is difficult to grasp, then it’s time to read this book.
Electrical Engineering 101, 2nd edition offers an in-depth explanation of electrical concepts using analogies; thus, igniting your passion for Electrical Engineering. There are a few careless flaws, like the equation in parallel resistance and the need for schematics to illustrate and explain ideas better.
#8: Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers, 3rd Edition
An updated version reflecting most recent developments in the electrical industry, the 3rd edition of Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers, 3rd Edition by Gary A. Dunning provides practical information regarding Rockwell Automation’s SLC 500 family of PLCs with a reasonable introduction to RXLogix and ControlLogix. New elements in the book include ControlNet and DeviceNet with a new chapter dedicated to SLC 500, MicroLogix, and the PLC 5. It features improved schematics to enhance its effectivity in learning concepts.
- Offers a distinct orientation to the general principles that are rudimentary to all PLC operations
- Enables the reader to understand more advanced concepts in the following chapters.
- Provides a better understanding of Rockwell Automation’s SLC 500 and MicroLogix PLCs work and program
- The Lab Manual, subtitled “Programming the SLC 500 PLC using RSLogix 500 Software,” is updated and includes more information on RSLinx drivers for the MicroLogix and Ethernet driver configuration lab for the SLC modular processor, the 5/05
- The Lab Manual also provides new exercises to complement the original program instructions.
The book is an excellent resource for Programmable Logic Controller (PLC). A lot of information is related to the older system, but overall, the Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers, 3rd Edition is beyond criticism. You may find its value limited, especially if you lack the appropriate software but some agree that this book by far is the best PLC book.
#9: Electrical Transformers and Rotating Machines, 3rd Edition
Electrical Transformers and Rotating Machines, 3rd Edition offer its third book with new trends in electrical technology and the latest practices in the electrical field. It is equipped with practical experiments to enable readers to explore and reinforce theory with a hands-on approach. It is undoubtedly an excellent resource for electrical students and electrical practitioners alike.
- Provides comprehensive and detailed information on a single phase and three-phase transformers, DC generators, and motors
- Quick access to the ideal combination of theoretical and practical applications
- Various experiments are integrated throughout the book will give the readers hands-on experience applying concepts and theory into practice
- Valuable insight for learners who are interested in employment within the electrical or industrial field.
The Electrical Transformers and Rotating Machines, 3rd Edition offers perfect detail and clear-cut explanations about electrical motors and generators, and how magnetism work. The text uses diagrams and colorful figures to help explain the concepts. Some readers find it difficult and sometimes tedious to read.Check Price on Amazon.com
#10: American Electricians’ Handbook, 16th Edition
The 16th Edition of American Electricians’ Handbook, 16th Edition is the point of reference in the electrical industry. It is packed with information related to design, installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical systems and equipment. It has undergone complete revision in compliance with the 2011 National Electrical Code and the 2012 National Electrical Safety Code. The elaborate use of pictures, schematics, and calculations makes it more appealing to learners.
- Wholly revamped to comply with the latest electrical standards and codes
- Employs clear and distinct language for better comprehension
- Detailed coverage on the latest energy-efficient technologies like solar power, induction lighting, and photovoltaics
- Elaborate use of photos, illustrations, diagrams, tables, and charts to aid visual learners
- Packed with realistic and practical facts and advice
One of the most comprehensive and dense data catalogs, the American Electricians’ Handbook, 16th Edition is all scientific as it gets. It is not for budding electricians who are looking for more straightforward code references and techniques. At one point, it is likened to a novel with elaborate explanations. In spite of that, the book is considered a practical and essential reference in linking electrical code to useful work.Check Price on Amazon.com
Ernest Hemingway has once said, “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” And if you are going to choose one book, the Delmar’s Standard Textbook of Electricity is hands-down the perfect choice for you. Its comprehensive text, superior quality photos, and Mindtap functionality empower and allows every learner to stay focused and eager to study. You can certainly develop an emotional attachment to this book. And you can thank us later!