Have you ever taken a chance to look closely at your wall outlet plates? Although they are one of the most often unnoticed little accents in the overall home décor, they serve an important practical purpose. Wall plates provide finishing touches to outlets, switches, and lighting controls. They protect devices and offer a decorative accent that blends well with the interior walls.
Not taking a second look at your wall plates to check if they need replacing is like setting yourself for a real disaster – fires and electrical wiring accidents. Prevention is always the key to safety, so make sure your home has zero unprotected electrical outlets by installing wall plates.
The plethora of wall plate models available in the market can easily cause confusion and lead to expensive purchase mistakes. To help you choose the right product that suits your needs and preference, consider the following parameters before buying one.
- Applications: Various type of wall plates accommodate different kinds of switches and fit different types of outlets. For instance, decora wall plates are designed to be used with decora devices, GFCIs/AFCIs, and lighting controls. While coax plates are used to fit satellite television set or the coaxial cable. Moreover, consider also the type of electrical box to which you’ll be using the plate. If for instance, the electrical box has more than one outlet or a wall jack, then consider buying a combination plate.
- Construction: The type of wall plate materials is also an important parameter to consider. Thermoplastic wall plates are made from engineering grade polymers for optimum impact resistance, thus best used in high traffic areas such as kitchens, children’s bedrooms, and bathrooms. Wall plates also act as attractive décor accents and may be made from copper, chrome, steel, brass, or brushed nickel to fit the interior of your house.
- Number of Gangs: The term “gang” refers to every item that can fit side-by-side on a wall plate, and doesn’t indicate the number of openings on the plate, contrary to what most people thought it was. The number of gangs on a wall plate you need to purchase depends entirely on your own preference and needs.
- Size: Before you decide on buying, make sure you identify the correct size that would ideally cover the entire electrical box to hide all wires, cords, and cables from view. Measure the dimensions of the electrical box and determine if it’s the standard, medium, or jumbo-sized plate you’ll need.
We’ve done the research and read hundreds of customer reviews to bring you our curated list of the top 10 wall plates.
Our Top 10 Wall Plates: a Deep Dive
#1: Enerlites 8821-W Duplex Outlet Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle Outlet Cover (Editor’s Choice!)
Ranked number 1 in Amazon’s best sellers list of wall plates and marked as “Amazon’s Choice” product for switch plate covers, the Enerlites 8821-W Duplex Outlet Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle Outlet Cover is the best item to take the first spot in this list. It’s a standard size wall plate designed to cover any duplex power outlet. Whether it’s for a residential or commercial setting, this wall plate is your best option.
- The Enerlites duplex wall plate is made of polycarbonate thermoplastic material that can withstand twisting, bending, drops, and hard impacts. It’s highly durable for long-term use.
- It’s designed for easy replacement of any standard wall plate with a similar configuration.
- It can withstand temperatures of more than 100 degrees, making it resistant from intense heat, fading, and discoloration.
- It comes with matching painted screws to achieve a flush-mounted look.
- It’s designed with a smooth finish and soft edges for easy cleaning.
Customers were satisfied with the high quality and reasonable price of the Enerlites 8821-W Duplex Outlet Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle Outlet Cover. They love how it’s relatively quick and easy to install. Plus, its clean white color adds aesthetics to the house interior, making everything look neat and in order.Check Price on Amazon.com
#2: Enerlites 881131-W Combination Toggle/ Decorator Wall Plate, 2-Gang
If you’re looking for a wall plate with a double-gang installation, then perhaps the Enerlites 881131-W Combination Toggle/ Decorator Wall Plate, 2-Gang is the answer. Although it has almost similar features as the previous product considering they’re from the same manufacturer, this item is a combination wall plate. It accommodates 1 toggle switch and 1 decora device configuration.
- Enerlites combination wall plate comes in 5 different colors – ivory, white, polished brass, polished chrome, and stainless steel.
- It’s made of polycarbonate thermoplastic material that offers flexibility, durability, and resilience to survive substantial impacts.
- It’s designed to be heat and fade resistant against high temperatures.
- It’s made for easy installment.
- It comes with matching screws that compliment the wall plate.
Satisfied customers found no negative issues with the Enerlites 881131-W Combination Toggle/ Decorator Wall Plate, 2-Gang. They also added that it works exactly as it should. For an affordable price, they get a quality wall plate with a smooth, clean finish which can flex enough for easy installation.
#3: Leviton 122-80401-NW 1-Gang Decora/GFCI Device Wall Plate
The Leviton 122-80401-NW 1-Gang Decora/GFCI Device Wall Plate offers a sleek and stylish look for decorative switch plate covers. It’s a great way to add subtle elegance to your walls without spending much on unique furniture and artwork pieces. It suits any wall covering with a vast selection of colors and finishes.
- It comes in 8 different colors – white, blue, black, brown, gray, ivory, light almond, and red.
- This wall plate is designed with a smooth face and rounded edges to prevent dust accumulation.
- It’s made of thermoplastic for optimal resistance to abrasion, impact, fading, and discoloration.
- It can stand up any mechanical stress associated with heavy use.
- This product comes with a limited 10-year warranty.
Buyers are glad that the Leviton 122-80401-NW 1-Gang Decora/GFCI Device Wall Plate is not only reasonably priced but are also hardy. They had no issue fitting the wall plate onto the new plug. Plus, it also has a nice look and feel that creates little points of aesthetic accent for a pleasant interior wall.Check Price on Amazon.com
#4: Franklin Brass W35059V-PW-C Classic Beaded Single Duplex Wall Plate
Double outlet plate covers, like the Franklin Brass W35059V-PW-C Classic Beaded Single Duplex Wall Plate, are perhaps the most common type of wall plates in a typical home since they offer equal protection for two similar outlets. This type of wall plate is perfect for creating a unified look for your outlet plugs. It’s a classic duplex wall plate that will fit right in with simple, traditional, or vintage interior style.
- It has 4 color variations – pure white, satin nickel, brushed brass and bronze with copper highlights.
- Matching machine screws are included upon purchase for easy installation.
- It’s compatible for duplex device receptacles.
- This wall plate is made from heavy-duty metal for long-lasting quality.
- It should be handled with caution and care as this wall plate’s edges may be sharp.
Those who purchased Franklin Brass W35059V-PW-C Classic Beaded Single Duplex Wall Plate appreciates how it adds some visual interest to their homes without going overboard. Aside from protecting two outlet plugs, the stylish design of this wall plate compliments well the room’s interior. Moreover, people are also satisfied that it’s made from high-quality metal and is easy to clean.Check Price on Amazon.com
#5: Franklin Brass 64090 Stamped Steel Round Double Toggle Switch Wall Plate
In a room with multiple light sources, the Franklin Brass 64090 Stamped Steel Round Double Toggle Switch Wall Plate is the perfect wall plate for double toggle switches. For an affordable cost, this decorative wall plate will enhance the look and feel of your room. The collection is one of today’s most popular finish options. !
- It comes in 6 different styles – white, flat black, satin nickel, polished brass, antique brass, and antique copper.
- Aside from the double switch, this model has two more configurations (decorator and duplex) for you to choose from.
- It comes with the screws upon purchase that match the wall plate’s finish.
- It’s a mid-sized wall plate and is made from steel.
- The edges may be sharp, so handle with caution and care.
Vintage and classic interior style enthusiasts especially loved the Franklin Brass 64090 Stamped Steel Round Double Toggle Switch Wall Plate. The antique color finishes create a unique accent piece that coordinates well with light-to-medium warm neutral tones. They love how it provides a solid, beautiful matte finish to the room’s interior.Check Price on Amazon.com
#6: Amerelle Chelsea Single Toggle/Single Rocker-GFCI Steel Wall Plate
Beyond the various switch design, another conventional layout for switch plate is that one found in the Amerelle Chelsea Single Toggle/Single Rocker-GFCI Steel Wall Plate It consists of 1 toggle switch and 1 rocker-GFCI switch. This wall plate is best used in the bath, kitchen, and lighting fixtures.
- It comes in 2 colors, brushed nickel, and aged bronze.
- The wall plate material is stamped steel, which makes it durable and sturdy.
- It has a smooth and sharp cut, which makes it easy to clean.
- Matching crews are included upon purchase.
- Must be handled with caution and care since it has sharp edges.
Customers were satisfied with the A+ quality and sleek design of the Amerelle Chelsea Single Toggle/Single Rocker-GFCI Steel Wall Plate. It adds a luxurious look to the house and a completely different feel when compared to the plain white plastic wall plates. Plus, the price is relatively affordable for a combination steel wall plate.Check Price on Amazon.com
#7: Buyer’s Point Brush Wall Plate [UL Listed], Decora Style, Cable Pass-Through Insert for Wires
If you need wall plates for running cables, then the [amazon asin=B075343YSZ&text=Buyer’s Point Brush Wall Plate [UL Listed], is an excellent choice. It easily creates cable access from any wall. It’s the perfect wall plate for your HDTV cables and home theater installations.
- It comes in 2 colors – plain black and white/ivory.
- It works perfectly for all cable types. The gang cable access strap works well with HDMI cables, audio speaker wires, TV cables, or coax.
- It has an easy set up which allows quick installation in just minutes.
- This wall plate is made from high-quality thick plastic.
- The screws supplied for this piece comes in silver.
Buyers love how the [amazon asin=B075343YSZ&text=Buyer’s Point Brush Wall Plate [UL Listed], gives that professional finish. They also found it highly functional as a cable pass-through wall plate. The easy set up for easy installation is also a plus point.Check Price on Amazon.com
#8: Lutron Claro 1 Gang Decorator Wall PlateG
Unlike the previous products, Lutron Claro 1 Gang Decorator Wall PlateG offers you a screwless look on your wall plates. It attaches securely to your walls with no visible screws. It has a standard designer opening that mounts flush to the wall for a clean, sleek appearance.
- It’s available in a variety of colors, with gloss and satin color finishes.
- It’s made from double plastic construction for long-lasting use.
- It has rounded corners and crisp edges for a sleek look.
- Compatible devices are phone jacks.
- This wall plate is for use with standard decorator-style dimmers, accessories, and switches.
For only under $4, the Lutron Claro 1 Gang Decorator Wall PlateG offers a great little upgrade to your traditional switches. Customers love how it’s relatively affordable than other brands but still provides the same high-quality function. Plus, it’s a sturdy, elegant wall plate that is easy to install and stays put.Check Price on Amazon.com
#9: SnapPower GuideLight 2 – Outlet Wall Plate with LED Night Lights
Marked as an “Amazon’s Choice” product for snap power outlet lights, the SnapPower GuideLight 2 – Outlet Wall Plate with LED Night Lights is a complete level up from your traditional wall plates. It automatically illuminates your way when you need to walk along the dark hallways in the middle of the night. Because of this feature, it’s also the most expensive item on this list.
- It features 3 LED night lights and a light sensor that turns the LEDs on/off automatically when needed.
- It’s an energy efficient product that costs less than 10-cents per year to power.
- It comes with a softly diffused light bar that provides an elegant, beautiful pathway light.
- It has a low profile design that is easy to install.
- This wall plate is not compatible with GFCI outlets.
Customers found the SnapPower GuideLight 2 – Outlet Wall Plate with LED Night Lights a worth it investment. Although it’s a bit pricey, they are satisfied with its smart design for a night light. They also love how it’s easy to install without the hassle of brackets, mounts, wires, or batteries.
#10: Enerlites Blank Device Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle or Switch Cover
The Enerlites Blank Device Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle or Switch Cover is intended for covering any unused power outlet in a residential or commercial setting. It’s crucial that they are entirely covered to prevent electrical wiring accidents, especially if you have small children at home. Moreover, the clean, sleek design makes it an excellent choice for anyone wanting to add a bit of designer accent to the room.
- This wall plate is made of polycarbonate thermoplastic that withstands twisting, bending, and strong force.
- Similar to all Enerlites products, this product is also heat and fade resistant.
- It’s made for easy retrofitting to any standard power outlet.
- It has a smooth finish and soft edges that allow easy cleaning.
- It comes with matching screws upon purchase to help achieve a flush-mounted look.
Customers highly recommend the Enerlites Blank Device Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle or Switch Cover for closing off outlets that are no longer needed. It offers a simple and straightforward look that compliments well with the wall interior. Plus, it’s easy to install and works great!Check Price on Amazon.com
A wall plate is one piece of electrical fitting that serves several purposes. It’s essential that you choose the right wall plate wisely according to your needs and preferences. The parameters mentioned in the first part of this article – applications, construction, number of gangs, and size – will help you zero in on a wall plate that exactly matches your style and needs. Make your investment worth it by choosing the one that goes the distance!
The Enerlites 8821-W Duplex Outlet Wall Plate, 1-Gang Receptacle Outlet Cover is the recommended choice for duplex wall plates. For only $1.07 per wall plate ($ 10.7 for 10-pack), you’ll receive a durable material that can withstand any hard impacts and heavy force. It’s also heat and fade resistant, so you don’t have to worry about discoloration over time. Lastly, it offers a fresh perfect white look on the walls that enhances the style of a room’s overall décor.